- Client Representation
- News & Publications
Blog: Bankruptcy Litigation 2.0
Visit Steve on Twitter: @SteveJakubowski
Steve Jakubowski concentrates his practice in distressed financings and workouts. He has been lead and co-counsel in bankruptcy cases nationwide, stretching from Delaware to Hawaii, including in multiple high profile cases nationwide on behalf of lenders, debtors, creditors and equity committees, acquirors, and litigation targets. Those matters have involved Steve in a variety of industries, including most recently commercial real estate development, financial services, dairy, swine, meat packing, farming, pharmaceuticals, retail, auto, medical technology, and metal fabrication.
Steve has remained a corporate lawyer to several companies following their emergence from bankruptcy or out-of-court restructurings. He also is the founder of Bankruptcy Litigation Blog, the internet’s first bankruptcy blog (2005), which has over 1 million page views to date.
Since 2009, Steve has advocated for the forgotten accident victims whose claims were left behind by the government in the General Motors’s bailout.
Click here for more information: https://forgottengmbailoutvictims.org/
Steve is AV Peer Review Rated, representing Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer recognition for ethical standards and legal ability.
Steve also has for several years been recognized as a top rated corporate bankruptcy and restructuring attorney by Super Lawyers.
- Successful reorganization and post-confirmation patent litigation of Company with proprietary wound healing formula.
- Represented Chicago Bulls hall-of-famer in recovering $10 million from investment advisor’s bankruptcy estate.
- Negotiated $150,000 nuisance value for fraudulent transfer / breach of fiduciary duty action seeking $17 million in damages from German-based clients.
- Won agreed-upon dismissal of chapter 11 involuntary bankruptcy case filed within 60 days after involuntary petition filed.
- Creditors’ Committee representation in multiple cases in the processed food and agricultural industries.)
- Initiated state receivership proceedings on behalf of clients.
- Negotiated favorable settlements and defenses of businesses sued by trustees in numerous cases for avoidance of alleged preferential and fraudulent transfers.
- Represented ad hoc committee of public shareholders in stopping pre-negotiated credit bid sale to private equity group, resulting in favorable consensual plan of reorganization.
- Lead co-counsel in fraudulent transfer and breach of duty litigation, resulting in $150 million in total settlements of behalf of bankruptcy estate.
- Successfully settled contested confirmation proceedings in single asset real estate cases.
- Represented multiple successful and backup bidders in assignment for the benefit of creditors and 363 bankruptcy sales.
- Negotiated DIP lending facilities for multiple borrowers and lenders.
- Successfully litigated contested adequate protection / lift stay hearings for lenders and borrowers.
- Represented bondholder trustee in oil and gas bankruptcy.
- Represented senior ABL lender in forbearance, DIP, and adequate protection agreement.
- Represented multiple corporate debtors in forbearance and loan workout agreements.
- Represented investment groups against investment managers and company executives for breach of duty, self-dealing, and related causes of action.
- Represent lender in battle regarding priority to assignment of rents.
- Represented medical practice sellers in negotiations with private equity acquirors.
- Represented multiple debtors in avoiding bankruptcy or liquidation through comprehensive rehabilitation and financing strategies.
- ISBA Bankruptcy Basics: From the Creditor’s Perspective on November 18
- Debt Limits Increase For Chapter 13s; Making Reorganization More Affordable For Debtors
- Bankruptcy Laws Favoring Small Business Chapter 11 Reorganizations Extended Through March 27, 2024
- Steve Jakubowski Participates in Lodging Magazine’s Podcast Series
- Beware the Post-COVID Revenge of the Mezz Lender
- New Law Makes Chapter 11 Bankruptcy An Attractive Option for Small Businesses in Distress
- Changes to Federal Bankruptcy Law Will Reduce Your Preference Risk
- Steve Jakubowski Highlighted in West Hawaii Today