- Client Representation
- News & Publications
Managing Partner, DiMonte & Lizak, LLC, 2011-2021. Since 1985, Riccardo A. DiMonte has been our most active trial lawyer. He concentrates in commercial law matters, contract disputes, construction law, mechanic’s liens, mortgage foreclosures, bankruptcy, civil rights cases and corporate and partnership dissolutions. He has tried multi-million-dollar lender liability and lottery prize cases to verdict, handled numerous state and federal court appeals and regularly practices before the American Arbitration Association.
Riccardo has lectured at continuing legal education seminars on commercial law and bankruptcy topics.
- Acted as lead counsel in federal district court in a 6-year civil rights battle between a land and business owner and a municipality resulting in a $6.5-million-dollar settlement for our client.
- Represented minority shareholders in a 100-year-old Chicago moving and storage company in two lawsuits in the Illinois Circuit Court and the Illinois Appellate Court resulting in multimillion-dollar and multi-year buyout contracts for the minority shareholders.
- Successfully defended an executor in a federal district court diversity lawsuit in the trial court, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals with a petition for certiorari pending in the United States Supreme Court.
- Prevailed on appeal from an adverse judgment at the trial court level against a national lender which was reversed on appeal and successfully re-prosecuted at the trial court level in favor of the lender and against the borrower.
- Defended an attorney in a legal malpractice case involving the doctrine of judicial error in the McHenry County Circuit Court, DuPage County Circuit Court, and Second District Appellate Court. Prevailed in all courts.
- Tried the first Illinois Business Corporations Act Section 12.56 close corporation shareholder remedy case in the Illinois Circuit Court and on appeal to the Illinois Appellate Court.
- Represented unsecured creditors who successfully challenged and voided a corporate “reverse triangular merger” transaction made for the purpose of defrauding unsecured creditors.
- Represented an adverse claimant in a three-week jury trial involving a $12-million-dollar lottery prize dispute heard by the Illinois Department of Lottery, Illinois Circuit Court, Illinois Appellate Court, and Illinois Supreme Court.
- Tried and prevailed for an Illinois state lottery pool member who was excluded by his fellow lottery pool members disputing ownership of a $9-million-dollar state lottery prize.
- Represented an FDIC/Insured State Bank in a three-week jury trial resulting in an adverse $18-million-dollar lender liability judgment which was vacated in federal district court and affirmed on appeal by the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Testified as an expert for the defense in a legal malpractice case.