Julia Jensen Smolka
- News & Publications
- Client Representations
Julia has over 20 years of experience representing diverse business industries and individuals as debtors in reorganizations, bankruptcy, and debt restructuring. She has been lead and co-counsel in Chapter 11 bankruptcies on behalf of real estate developers, hospitality companies, commercial landlords, manufacturers, fabricators, logistic companies and high net-worth individuals. She also has significant experience representing lenders and creditors in bankruptcy court and state court, including stay modification litigation, adversary actions, priority lien disputes and commercial collection and foreclosure, as well as contractors and homeowners in construction and mechanic’s lien litigation.
Julia has in-depth experience drafting contracts, leases, business sales transactions and settlement agreements with an eye toward anticipating potential litigation and protecting her clients. Additionally, she represents condominium and homeowners’ associations in litigation, collection, negotiations with vendors and disputes with utilities and municipalities. Julia is experienced with drafting estate plans and representing estate and beneficiaries in probate litigation.
As a seasoned attorney, Julia handles all aspects of litigation including investigations, pleadings, discovery, pre-trial matters, trial, and if appropriate, settlements and/or appeals of trial decisions.
Julia is a frequent speaker with the Illinois State Bar Association on topics in Bankruptcy, Mechanics Lien and Collection Strategies.
Julia is the Co-Chair of the Firm’s Litigation Practice.
- Women in Business: Networking Breakfast!
- Co-Presenter, ISBA CLE Webinar “Collections for the Non-Collections Attorney”
- Julia Jensen Smolka Appointed as Advocates Society’s Secretary for 2023
- Appointed to Northern District of Illinois Bankruptcy Liaison Committee
- ISBA Bankruptcy Basics: From the Creditor’s Perspective on November 18
- Speaker and Moderator for ISBA’s Live Web “Bankruptcy Basics: From the Debtor’s Perspective” on October 20.
- Speaker, Advocates Polish American Attorney Association in April 2022
- Debt Limits Increase For Chapter 13s; Making Reorganization More Affordable For Debtors
- Bankruptcy Laws Favoring Small Business Chapter 11 Reorganizations Extended Through March 27, 2024
- Julia Jensen Smolka, new officer of the Advocates Society
- Overall Bankruptcy Down 40%
- Lien On Me: Understanding the Commercial Real Estate Broker’s Lien Act
- Whose Ring Is It Anyway?
- If the Dress Fits, You Must Acquit
- Think Post Judgment Collection Before You Even Enter into the Contract
- Julia Jensen Smolka Speaks at Park Ridge Chamber Roundtable
- Timing is Everything When It Comes to Battling Your Creditors
- Third Party Beneficiaries and Privity of Contract
- Represented hotelier in chapter 11 reorganization in Lake County, Illinois.
- Represented commercial landlord in strip center against debtor in Subchapter V Chapter 11.
- Represented Chapter 7 trustee in collection efforts against insiders for recovery of fraudulent claims.
- Represented real estate developers in Chapter 11 reorganizations. Clients were able to sell real estate and prevent foreclosures.
- Represented several property owners in reorganizations to prevent loss of properties from real estate tax buyers.
- Represented logistics company in Subchapter V Chapter 11 Cases during Covid.